Thursday 5 May 2011

Just took off me pinny.

If you can't stand the heat, get out the galley!
I'll admit it; I'm absolutely exhausted. But very happily exhausted. It's not everyday in my job onboard Mariquita, that I get to cook all day long and that is definately what occured in the galley today. I am even a wee bit surprised at how well my little 'Force Ten' oven coped with it all.  By 'With it all', I mean, 70 mini pecorino and courgette scones, 90 sausage and apple rolls, 50 croustades and 2 ginormous cakes. Not to mention lunch for 8 and dinner for 7. I also made a huge bowl of salmon mousse for the scones and tapenade for the croustades. Phew.
Yummy apple and sausage rolls. And only 80 more to go!

I hope you'll forgive me if I don't put any recipes up tonight. I'll post you some pictures as evidence though and I'll promise to send some recipes soon. I had to sort of make the scone recipe up a bit. I couldn't find a suitable recipe in my small collection of books onboard (weight restriction) but having sampled a few of the little blighters, fresh out of the oven for research purposes, I can assure you that it is a fine recipe. And with my new-found sense of responsibility to record my recipes, I'm sure I've remembered it well.

Slice in half and add a dollop of salmon mousse. Garnish with a sprig of dill. Well, thats the idea anyway.



Mariquita's 100th birthday party is tomorrow after a day out sailing. Mariquita is looking fantastic for her big day. Sian, the stewardess, has been buffing and polishing as fast as her OCD will carry her. The booze is safely stored and my fridge is bulging at the seams. It's so much fun, throwing a party. But I may be pretty tired by the end of it all. I'll have 40 sandwiches to make in the morning for the crews lunch, the cake to decorate, canapes to prepare, a staysail to trim, lines to pull and champagne to drink. I suppose at some point in all that I'll have to try to put some lipstick on and perhaps a frock. And as we all know it's usually wise to get that done before champagne drinking starts in earnest.

But it's not everyday you're One Hundred years old! I wonder what Mariquita was doing, where she was and who was living onboard when she was 33...

Sleep well. I'll let you know how the party goes. Those pesky mosquitos will not be bothering me tonight!